STORY: Chasing Pavements Decoded


I have been hooked on Adele for a few days now and one of her songs, specifically Chasing Pavements has been stuck in my head for the last 2 hours (and the hour before that, I had Someone Like You on look in my head!). The sudden obsession is totally by accident since I have been hearing Adele's songs for quite sometime and never found a liking to it. I even found her songs quite irritating since her voice was pretty big and husky. But funny how things turn around since now all I want to hear is that big husky voice.

But of course being me meant a simple LSS is never simple. I do not like singing songs I do not understand so leave it to me to search the lyrics and figure things out. One thing that actually got me hooked on Adele is her lyrics. In a time where repetition is key to getting a 3 minute song done, recorded and bombarded in different radio stations to earn millions, its comforting to know that there are still some singers who value lyrics, meaning, and music.

So going back to the song, as I understood from Chasing Pavements, the persona is falling in love or is already in love with someone but is not sure whether to tell the person admired about this feeling. She even shares that even if she tells it to everyone else, it wouldn't be enough as compared to telling the person admired himself.

If i tell the world,
I'll never say enough,
Cause it was not said to you,
And thats exactly what i need to do,
If I end up with you


The chorus speaks about the persona's dilemma as to whether she should just give up this feeling since she "knows her place" already or should she continue to chase pavements that lead nowhere, meaning running after something she knows will bear no fruit. Basically its unrequited love... but then again, she has yet to confront the guy so this is just all in her head. She's still too afraid to find out the truth and just assumes the worst. So if you think about it, maybe, just maybe, she isn't REALLY chasing pavements that lead nowhere. 

Should i give up,
Or should i just keep chasing pavements?
Even if it leads nowhere,
Or would it be a waste?
Even If i knew my place should i leave it there?
Should i give up,
Or should i just keep chasing pavements?
Even if it leads nowhere



So there, that's how I interpreted the song. I searched online after I did my own decoding of the song and found other versions. Oh well, I guess that's music right there, no one true meaning. Now isn't that a great thing? ;)

P.S. Let me just say that no matter how great the song is, that music video cannot be saved from its terribleness. Goodness, I'd prefer to have Adele look at the camera and be all emo than that ridiculous pavement dance. In this case, you fall in love purely with the music. 

No comments: