STORY: 50% Awkward, 50% Embarrassing

So an embarrassing/awkward thing just happened today. I was watching 50/50 on my laptop when a guy opened the door to my office (it's not an office, office. It just so happens that my cubicle has a door) and caught me crying my eyes out. He must have panicked since he got one foot in and then put it right back out and shut the door. I even saw his expression... so yes, I looked at him, which makes me so sure that he did see my red, watery eyes very clearly... with a hanky in hand at that!

Anyway, about the movie. It was nice. I know nice isn't a very positive adjective. Actually, to me it sounds  more neutral than positive but I just can't find a more fitting adjective. The film makes you feel nice in a thank-God-I'm-not-dying-from-cancer way. (You know what, this won't be a very credible review so you could stop reading from this point. Thanks for dropping by). The movie isn't in your face or over dramatic. It was calm and quiet. Actually, even during scenes with dialogues, it still felt silent. The actors all spoke like how people speak in real life. No extravagant scenes where break ups have each party throwing stuff at each other or screaming at each other in the middle of the street. Nor were there extravagant gestures to make a girl fall in love. Everything felt real, like it could have happened to the guy next to me (although I pray to God that doesn't really happen to the guy next to me. Xea if you're reading this, I do not wish for you to have cancer). 

The romance was quite subtle and I found that really sweet. The girl who played the love interest nailed the geeky, awkward vibe (if that was her goal to begin with) and Joseph Gordon-Levitt was just great. For a second, I felt like I had cancer and was going through what he was... not really the physical pain but the emotional stuff that comes with knowing your death may just be a sunrise away. Hello? I was bawling for the last 10 minutes of the film! And Seth Rogen added that hint of comedy that saved this film from being one of those depressing self-pity flicks. The little twist towards the end where Adam (Joseph's character) finds out that his goofy best friend, who appears to care about nothing more than getting laid, is actually going through some emotional stuff because of Adam's condition was nothing short of sweet. 

It's a sweet movie. It didn't change my world or anything like that, but it made me look at the world a little differently for a minute there. And for me, that's all a good movie should do... make people take a second look at the world. 

No comments: