STORY: Spark in the Dark

Today, I realized how much more value people put on things that they are deprived of for a long time. 

I don't want to go into specifics because I might get into to trouble for this if the right people dig this up, so this serves as an apology for the vagueness that will transpire.

A person was going frantic about not being able to inform me of a cancelled rendezvous. At first, I didn't know that this was what the fuss is all about. I thought the "urgency" that the people relayed to me really meant something urgent. Apparently, the "urgency" they were talking about was about this person trying to contact me to inform me that I shouldn't hurry up to meet her since the meeting is cancelled. How thoughtful was that? It isn't something grand or anything but that gesture was the highlight of my past 3 months. No kidding. After 3  or 4 months of being treated like I didn't matter, like I wasn't good enough, like I wasn't worthy of respect, that simple gesture made me feel that I mattered, that I was good enough, that I was respected. 

It sounds exaggerated but really, after being in the dark for so long, the tiniest spark feels like the sun.

No comments: