THEORY: TV Love

I love TV. I love watching my favorite shows back to back to back (well, whenever I get the chance). I always hear people talk about how TV is a waste of time and how it dumbs people down, but as usual, I beg to differ.

I think TV makes you think (if you watch the right shows... actually no, even dumb shows make you think! Otherwise, you wouldn't have figured it was a dumb show if you weren't thinking at all!) and it enriches your life to some extent. People would always talk about how we spend hours in front of a box with lights when we can go out and explore the world, have adventures, be with friends and just do stuff. But, are they really hearing what they say? I want to experience the world as much as everybody else, but the places I can go to at the moment are the places I have been to a hundred times before - the mall, the parks, the city! I know there are so much more things to experience and so many places to go to and I plan on doing and going to all those things but I can't do that every weekend, can I? But with TV, for a moment, for half an hour I sort of can. As I watch my favorite TV shows, I manage to travel to New York, to Ohio, to some far off place I can only imagine and I am taken there through the eyes of a character I have grown to love. Even if I have never met any of these people, I have connected with them (their characters, I mean). I root for them, I try to understand them, I analyze the questions they throw at me and I find myself amazed at how many angles you can view life. They may be living a different life from mine, waking up to different time zones and driving down different streets, but they go through things that aren't so different... love and loss, hopes and disappointments, growing up and tripping along the way, and all the other stuff in between. 

After every episode, be it a comedy or a drama, I always end up filled with emotion and so much wonder about the world. Particularly how amazing it is that there are people out there who are able to come up with such wonderful stories. I can't find a word for it (which I really should work on if I do want to write a show as awesome as the ones I'm watching now) but I can describe it. When an episode is just so amazing, I feel a really big, grand "thing" in the pit of my stomach and it just rises up and leaves me speechless and at awe. I mean, how could I not see that twist coming? Or how romantic was that gesture? Or how witty and funny was that joke? Every great episode just leaves me amazed! And I am even more amazed at how people can make so many great things in their lifetime and how I am a witness to that greatness and how one day I may be able to do some great things of my own as well. (Woah, lotsa HOWS in that sentence ober der) 

So don't hate on TV. Hate on the audience who just sits there watching and doesn't really see the world that unfolds before them. And how awesome is it that this world now no longer comes to us in a convenient box, but a flat sheet with pretty lights and music to match? 

No comments: