THEORY: Andy Sketches - Through The Years Edition!


I have always loved drawing. Ever since I could remember, I would ask for crayons, pencils and sketch pads during birthdays and christmases.  Eventually, I would ask for more "grown up" art materials like paint, brushes, oil pastels, and markers.

Portrait of my then 1-year old sister, Allea. (c) 2000
In my mind, I was a happy child. I would doodle and color page after page every chance I could. But growing up, although I was recognized for my "talent," I would be made to feel that I wasn't happy when I would choose to be quiet and draw. While my cousins would sing and dance during get togethers, I would be quiet and hidden from everyone. But I don't want to dwell on my childhood issues with post. God knows I have enough posts on that already! But before I move on to my story, just want to reassure you that I have moved on from these issues and have come to terms with what kind of person I am... specifically, the kind of person I have always been.

I went through this "girl group" phase. I would always draw a group of girls with cliche' characteristics identified through their clothing. Think Scooby Doo gang but all girls. (c) 2002

I went through my sketch pads today because I promised my sister, Amanda that I would spend time with her. We both enjoy drawing so I thought this was something we could enjoy together. I asked her to grab my old sketch pads so we can draw on the blank pages but surprise, surprise! She had already drawn on all the blank pages! 

We did end up drawing together for a while but I got engrossed with all my past drawings that I started taking photos of those. As I went through my past sketches, a lot of the outfit sketches were so tasteless! Can't believe I once thought oversized overalls were fashionable (ehem, see sketch below)


I noticed that I have always loved drawing people. Female faces to be exact, although I did go through a "designer" phase where I would have a ton of different outfits crammed into one page. The drawing above is just a quarter of one sketch I had with about 50 bodies in one page! Although I didn't finish that drawing, there was provision for at least 50 outfits in there! 

(c) 2003

I also noticed that I took a lot of inspiration from the shows I would watch. I would usually draw Disney princess looking faces and hair styles. Although for the particular drawing above (bottom right), I copied the print, color and style of the dress Raven wore during an episode of That's So Raven. 

I called this piece mother nature. I was obsessed with drawing mid riffs this time since I was on a W.I.T.C.H comics reading phase (c) 2004

I would try to use other materials time to time like paint and oil pastels. But since my mom was my mom, I would usually be subconsciously discouraged to use anything messy. But since I was a stubborn kid, I messed with paint anyway. 

Trivia? This girl is actually Maja Salvador! I remember copying this from a Sun cellular print ad from a magazine (c) 2004
Since I was into drawing people, my biggest frustration was not being able to draw realistic portraits. I would try time to time but eventually, I stuck with cartoons. 

Another attempt at a realistic portrait. My now 3 year old sister (left) and my 13 year old self (right) looking really, really bad (c) 2004
During the years between 13-15, I went through a "depression" stage from time to time. I'm not sure what the reason behind these emo phases were (although I could always check in my handwritten diary later. Yes, I kept a diary for about 4 years!) but I would remember lying in bed, staring at the ceiling and blasting some emo song. One time, I even told my mom I imagined getting hung in the bathroom out of the blue. That sure shocked her! But don't be scared of me! I never actually tried to kill myself in anyway. I guess I was just confused on what kind of cliche' I wanted to be... and being goth certainly wasn't it! 

(c) 2005


(c) 2005

(c) 2005
I drew the last 3 drawings in one sitting. What was I going through?! Haha!

A day in Laguna. (c) 2005

Growing up in the city, it was inevitable that I would envy the "suburban" life at one point. During the best summer of my life, I remembered wanting, with so much passion, to move to Laguna for good. I was there for a good 2 months straight and I couldn't believe how kids could go out in the streets and play all afternoon and sit by the sidewalk and play guitar without worry of cars bumping them!

As evidence to this, I created a 3 part comic on what my life would be like once we moved! Needless to say, we didn't move and after 3 months back into the city, the crazy idea of uprooting the entire family never came up again. How impulsive was I!

(c) 2006

(c) 2006
Finally, some improvement on my body proportions! My girl drawings are not longer stick thin... they now have curves! Not to mention the outfits were in more acceptable fashion.

(c) 2006

(c) 2008
Why am I always troubled! Haha. Another set of emo sketches! 

(c) 2008
From my outfit obsessed to figure obsessed to now face obsessed sketches, females remain to be a favorite. Note that I focus more of faces come 2008! 

(c) 2008

(c) 2008
But of course, can't totally shake off the wanne be designer in me! Sketching some *gulp* wedding gowns here! I have an entire series of sketches for the entire entourage! hihi

(c) 2008

The girl with the maarte shoulder is me during my JS prom! The two on the right is me ad my friend, Jennifer during prom as well (c) 2008
Of course, when the boyfriend came along, he became one of the very few male subjects I had. Surprisingly, he was the easiest portrait to draw! I feel the sketch below looks like him! Obviously, the terrible looking girl with him is me. Ugh

(c) 2008
Oh lookie, as early as 2008 my latest obsession, drawing eyes started to form! I draw eyes very differently now but it's nice to know I've improved in 4 years! 

(c) 2008
I don't sketch as much anymore nor do I have any sketch pads lying around for me to doodle on. But I'm glad to share that I havent stopped drawing totally. Thanks to my trusty Note 2, I still doodle time to time... and hopefully, I'm better at it at 2013!



No comments: